Bardsey Island - Llyn Peninsula
Bardsey Island (Ynys Enlli), the legendary "Island of 20,000 saints", lies 2 miles off the Llŷn Peninsula. The Welsh name means "The Island in the Currents", although its English name refers to the "Island of the Bards", or possibly the island of the Viking chieftain, "Barda". Bardsey is less than a square mile in area and has been an important religious site since Saint Cadfan built a monastery in 516. In medieval times it was a major centre of pilgrimage and, by 1212, belonged to the Augustinian Canons Regular. The monastery was dissolved and its buildings demolished by Henry VIII in 1537, but the island remains an attraction for pilgrims to this day.
seascapeislandwild flowersrocksseacoastalcoastlineArea of Outstanding Natural BeautyHeritage Coast
From Snowdonia and North Wales