Rubha Reidh - Wester Ross
Rubha Reidh meaning Smooth Point in Gaelic is a prominent headland jutting into The Minch about halfway between Stoer Head and the Isle of Skye. The building of a navigation light was first proposed by David Stevenson, a cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson in 1853 but, with familiar emphasis on economy, the Board of Trade refused to approve the proposed expenditure of £5,000. Finally, in May 1908, the Board of Trade sanctioned the expenditure of £14,900 and it opened in 1912. Until the road was built in 1962, access to the lighthouse was by sea. In 1944, an American Liberty Ship the "William H Welch" missed the entrance to Loch Ewe and went ashore at Black Bay during a severe storm. Two lightkeepers were actively involved in the rescue of 15 survivors out of a complement of 74. Automated in 1986, the station is now operated as a holiday home.
National Scenic Areaseascapelighthouse. rocksseaheadlandcoastalcoastline
From Wester Ross and Cromarty