Traeth Mawr - Snowdonia
Although on the edge of the Snowdonia National Park the Traeth Mawr (Welsh for "big sands") is is a low-lying tract of land enclosed by embankments near Porthmadog. It was formerly the tidal estuary of the Afon Glaslyn, and many travellers sank in its quicksands trying to cross it. Much of it is between high mountains. Pont Aberglaslyn is at its upper end. The image was captured from The Cob a man-made causeway built across the Afon Glaslyn by William Alexander Madocks and opened in 1811. The mile-long causeway carries the road, together with the Lôn Las Cymru cycleway and the Ffestiniog Railway.
The Cob celebrated its 200th anniversary in 2011.
From Snowdonia and North Wales