Loch Gamhna - Cairngorms
At the southern end of Loch an Eilein is the linking waters to Loch Gamhna. This 'Loch of the Stirks (young cattle)' was used centuries ago by cattle raiders as an access route to Strathspey. In the hope that the main herds would be spared local folk tied a few cows to a tree beside Loch Gamhna. 'Thieves Road' south of the loch was used in 1644 by forces of the Marquis of Montrose who marched through in pursuit of the Duke of Argyll's army.
National ParkNational Scenic Areatreeslandscapelochwaterforest
From Cairngorms and East Coast